13 January 2012

Reading in 2011

At the start of 2008, I resolved to remedy my woeful reading habits by reading twelve books in twelve months. I failed – three years in a row. Last year, I actually achieved the goal and celebrations were held throughout my flat. Here are the books I read.

The books (sans Harry Potter)
1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen
A year after finishing Sense and Sensibility (my first taste of Austen), I went in for the kill. Jane Austen is renowned for her wit, yet I was still surprised by how much she was making me laugh. Not always entirely to my taste, but undeniably elegant, and the social commentary has just the right level of bite. Subsequent viewing of the Joe Wright film and 1995 BBC series completed an enjoyable immersion.

2. American Pastoral – Philip Roth

This is an obliterating book, and I loved reading it. Exploring recent American history with unforgiving emotional force, Roth often rants. But this is also funny and fiercely passionate. The extended finale set piece, a dinner party from hell, is astonishing. I happily remember reading this in a lovely Seattle coffee shop, where I picked up my bookmark.

3. Their Eyes Were Watching God – Zora Neale Hurston
And in Seattle is where I bought this African American classic, whereupon the shopkeeper sang at me. At first, I was not sure if I could take to the rich style of Hurston's prose. But I was drawn in, mostly by its sharp observation ("She knew because she looked"). The world of this book is sultry; the magnificent hurricane scenes stick with me.

4. My Word Is My Bond – Roger Moore
An anecdotal deluge. Roger Moore is warm and self-effacing, almost to a fault. Little depth is offered, but many of the stories work well. Yes, some of them raise suspicion, and there are definitely some dodgy facts, but pictures of Roger in knitwear and so on make up for all that.

5. Flashman – George MacDonald Fraser
This was a joy, and Harry Paget Flashman is a brilliant hero: funny, rude, caddish, cowardly. Crucially, the whole adventure gets its teeth from the accurate historical detail. Set amid the First Anglo-Afghan War, the characters are real and vivid and the action is exciting. It is magical that the mixture of romp and realism works so well. I intend to become a devotee and work my way through the series.

6. Darkmans – Nicola Barker
A mammoth, sprawling, ridiculous book. Set among the estates and motorways of Ashford, and taking 800-plus pages, the action is minimal; instead we have a patchwork of impish wordplay and irrepressibly dark urges. It is a puzzle with clues wherever you look for them: for instance, the precocious child inhabited by the spirit of Edward IV's jester. The past is literally haunting the present, perhaps the key to the farce. For me, it worked (despite the exhaustion) mainly because of its sense of mischief.

7. The Voice That Thunders – Alan Garner
Seattle bookmark
A collection of essays and lectures. Garner is formidably intelligent, but unfortunately he knows it. The spare writing style is admirable and informed points are made on our place within landscape and history. However, arrogance muddies the depth, and I became ever frustrated by Garner's rigid lack of sympathy. The almost nonsensical passages on mental health also jar. In all, less appealing and thunderous than it ought to be.

8. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone – J. K. Rowling
I was almost completely uninitiated into the Potter universe before taking on this first instalment. I hope to explore further, having been entertained, if never gripped. I hear the other books are also popular.

9. The Maltese Falcon – Dashiell Hammett
Sam Spade steps back off the screen, but he still gleams, snarling and wonderful. The style is exciting, sometimes hilarious; the mean streets of San Francisco are a backdrop for such sentences as "His eyes burned yellowly". I love the John Huston film, and I am so familiar with it, that I was struck by how faithful an adaptation it was. Hammett's book speaks just like Bogart, Greenstreet and Lorre. It is brilliant.

10. The Dain Curse – Dashiell Hammett
I went for the Dashiell Double. This was less engaging than The Maltese Falcon, and much more episodic. Too many characters were piled in by the finale, but there was still plenty of hard-boiled joy at hand.

11. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens
My second Dickens. A wonderful gallery of characters (down to each supporting role) give life to an unexpectedly dark story of redemption through humility. Dickens' genius is to enable us to sympathize with Pip throughout, despite his actions and his pride. Meanwhile, Miss Havisham is a genuinely marvellous creation. Great Christmastime reading.

12. An Artist of the Floating World – Kazuo Ishiguro
Ishiguro is one of my favourite authors, and this is a mini-masterpiece. As with The Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go, we have a defensive narrator who reveals more than they intend, through their natural, chatty delivery. This time it is an artist who worked in Japan between the wars, and again we are looking back, piecing together a dark past almost without realising. It is elegiac and perfectly paced – a beautiful book.

1 comment:

laputain said...

Pride and Prejudice I read either at the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011 and adored. I think it helped that I was very familiar with the tv/film versions so had sort of anticipatory tension for the big events. I was nevertheless surprised how emotionally charged I found it at times!

My flatmate Oliver gave me An Artist of the Floating World for my 20th birthday. In his inscription he describes it as 'the book which restored his faith in reading'. I always felt I was missing something! Since then I have read The Remains of the Day and also some Murakami....I've often wondered whether I ought to go back to AAotFW and re-appraise it, because I think my literary mind (yik!) is in a better situation these days to enjoy it.